Week One

Haley’s 24 Hours of Media

Saturday was kind of a weird day for me to record all my media use because my husband was on night shift and so it kind of throws everything off. Also, this really shows what a cool person I am! In bed by 9:30 on a Saturday night!

6:00 AM – Husband comes home from night shift which wakes me up
I’m still too sleepy to do much of anything (IT’S A SATURDAY!!!!) but I scroll Facebook and check any emails. Nothing from work, only a few promo emails that I quickly discarded and some shipping notifications.
6:30 – 8:30 I turned on Suits on Amazon Prime and kind of hazily watched it from 6:30-8:30.
At this point I decided to get out of bed and actually do something! I even made coffee!
8:45 AM I got a SnapChat from my sister in law (my adorable niece!!) which prompted me to check Snapchat stories and do another run through of Facebook.
Sometimes I have to laugh, and sometimes I just get sad, about everyone I know sharing the newest version of “Facebook is going to start stealing your pictures and your soul TOMORROW if you don’t share this” posts. I saw that there was a purse sale at a shop that I like, so I browsed through the selection and decided I have enough purses. I resisted the urge to start arguments with my family members sharing inflammatory posts from unreliable sources.
I exchanged text messages with some of my friends from work who are also taking college classes at various other institutions and we exchanged a few memes relating to work/school.
I also exchanged messages with my mom and my sister, and some other family members. My husband’s cousin sent a message that her due date is exactly one month away!
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM – I checked Canvas, replied to some discussions in this course and in my other course. Then I completed the assigned reading from Bit by Bit for my other course, and the associated quiz. Then, I took note of all reading and assignments due for the upcoming week, as well as any work/personal obligations so I had an idea of how to plan my week.
11:00AM – 11:30AM – My coworker texted me that the new season of Good Eats was on Hulu! But alas, it was Good Eats: Reloaded, which aired last season. Even so, I watched the first episode. Alton Brown is one of my most trusted food sources!
11:30AM-12:15PM I turned on the Undisclosed Podcast while I cooked lunch. Undisclosed focuses on cases where they feel the defendant was wrongly convicted. The three hosts are lawyers, and they do incredibly deep dives into all the evidence. I feel that they are a trusted source. Even though they freely admit that they are personally biased towards the defendant’s innocence, they show all sides of the story. I’m currently listening to Season 2 which focuses on Joey Watkins. Each episode is followed by an addendum, hosted by Jon Cryer, which I always get a kick out of. The addendums tend to be more discussion and opinion and less fact-based.
12:15-12:45 – My husband wakes up and we eat lunch.
12:45 – 1:15 – We loaded up all our trash and head to the trash dropoff. We live in a rural area and the cost to have someone pick up our trash every week is astronomical, so we take it ourselves every other week or so. We listened to Y2Kountry on the Sirius XM on the way.
1:15 – 1:45 – We went straight from the dropoff to our gym. I listen to more of Undisclosed while we worked out. While I was at the gym, my coworker texted me and we talked briefly about the Canvas orientation he had hosted that day.
2:00 – 2:30 – We picked up a few items at Wal-Mart, which is right next to the gym. They had background music playing but I can’t remember any of it. Which I guess is the point of background music.
2:30 – 4:30 – My husband turned on SportsCenter and kind of vegged out before he had to go to work.
4:30 – When he left, I turned on CaseFile podcast. This is another True Crime podcast, based out of Australia, although they cover cases from all over the world.
I needed to replace the SSD on my laptop, so I set to work doing that. First I had to create the recovery drive to reinstall Windows. Then I backed up all my data. I physically replaced the drive (I upgraded from 150GB to 1TB) then booted from the recovery drive that I created.
5:30 While Windows was reinstalling, I put on more CaseFile and cooked myself an easy dinner. After I ate, I washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen, all with CaseFile playing.
6:30 Windows was finished installing but now I needed to install the Office Suite, Adobe Suite, and various other programs and just do some general setup. I also had to install several Windows and HP updates. Additionally, I uninstalled a lot of programs that Microsoft adds to its factory image – which I find to be a very annoying media encounter, but an encounter nonetheless. I still had CaseFile playing.
7:30 – When the computer was finally setup, I settled down on the couch to watch some more Suits for a few hours while I worked on some hand embroidery.
9:30 – I headed to bed, where I checked email (surprisingly – I had no urgent work emails, I typically field emails from students and instructors all weekend and almost always end up logging into my work Surface Pro to fix some issue or another, and I would have expected it to be even busier during the first week of classes,) Facebook, and Snapchat again before I turned on Food Network to watch some mindless TV and fell asleep around 10PM.